Louisville VA Medical Center
Respiratory Therapy to Expand Services
The Respiratory Therapy Department has been growing over the past year at our hospital with the intention of providing more support than ever to our veterans, nursing staff, and physicians. We will soon have a full team to provide treatment, assessment, monitoring, and management of breathing disorders and cardiovascular problems throughout the Medical Center. For those of you who are not familiar with our profession, Respiratory Therapists must earn an associates or bachelor's degree from a respiratory care program accredited by the Commission of Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC). All Respiratory Therapists must pass multiple exams administered by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC). The respiratory therapist may be Certified or Registered. They also have the opportunity to obtain specialty credentials in areas such as critical care, polysomnography, and asthma education just to name a few. Respiratory Therapists are available in house 24/7, 365 days a year. In addition to the services listed below, Respiratory Therapists respond to all code blues, express teams, and medical emergencies on grounds.
Respiratory Therapy Services:
- Administration of Respiratory Medications
- Delivery of Oxygen Therapy
- Airway Clearance Therapy and Techniques
- Management of Airway and Mechanical Ventilation
- Non-Invasive Ventilation Management
- CPAP & BiPAP for Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Obtaining blood specimen
- Home oxygen services
- Pulmonary Function Testing
- Provide education to patients and families about lung disease, proper medication administration, and airway clearance techniques
Need Help? We are here for you. Call us and we will come!