Louisville VA Medical Center
About the Program
Social Work at the Robley Rex VA Medical Center is an integral part of health care. We help veterans and their families with problems associated with the stress of an illness and assist them with meeting their aftercare needs following hospitalization. Social Work Service provides a wide range of clinical and administrative services throughout the Robley Rex VA Medical Center and its community based outpatient clinics. Social workers provide counseling, patient education, and case management in a variety of outpatient and inpatient programs. Professional social workers are also available for consultation and crisis intervention.
Social Work Service manages the Contract Nursing Home Program, Spinal Cord Injury Program and the Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom (OIF/OEF) Program for returning service members.
An active affiliation with the University of Louisville's Kent School of Social Work provides excellent opportunities for VA staff to interface with some of the finest graduate students in the profession.
Main Social Work Service Office Location: Room B703
The scope of services offered by Social Work Service includes the following:
- information, resource information and referral
- discharge planning
- financial assistance referrals
- assistance with nursing home placement
- transportation assistance
- home health services
- housing and community living assistance
- social assessment, intervention, and aftercare services
- referral for physical, psychological and/or sexual abuse
- combat veteran services
- psychosocial assessment
- HIV pre- & post-test counseling
- assistance to veterans and family members who want to prepare advance directives and durable powers of attorney for healthcare
Individual, Family, Group Counseling and Treatment Services are provided:
- to veterans needing assistance with interpersonal relationships and social activities
- to help veterans and their families understand and adjust to an illness or disability
- to help veterans and their families cope with terminal illness
- to family members seeking assistance with commitment, guardianship, and conservatorship
- to veterans who engage in decision-making and problem-solving
Building 1 (Main Building)
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.